Top 10 Microbreweries and Wineries on the Northern California Coast
While RVing along the Northern California coast you can also stop by and sample some of the excellent award winning microbrews and handcrafted wines that are available.
There are two microbrewers in Arcata, One in nearby McKinleyville, one in Eureka and one in Blue Lake. Most offer tasting and tours so you can check out a few different styles of beer and kick back in your motorhome or RV and have a different beer each night of the week.
Along with a great set of Microbreweries there are also many wineries along this section of Pacific Coast with one in Arcata, one in Willow Creek, one in Field Brook, one in Redway and one in Myers Flat. Each offer handcrafted wines, many of which have received awards and even organic wines from Winneti Vinyards.
Top 5 Microbreweries
First a little Microbrew trivia. To qualify as a "microbrewery" the brewery must produce less than 15,000 barrels of beer per year! Or about 2,000,000 12 fluid ounce bottles of beer! That is still quite a bit of that wonderful fermented beverage!
According to some there is a brewery in Sonoma, California that first coined the phrase microbrew, other sources say that the term first came into popularity in the UK. To add a little more confusion to the fine art of brewing there are also a couple other size based classifications of brewery like "Nanobrewery" which employs a brew system capible of producing only 4 barrels or less and "brewpubs".
While I only promised the top 5 Microbreweries I've thrown in one more so you get 6 instead.
Six Rivers Brewery
- Eel River Brewing Co. - Not only offers some great microbrews but also has a great grill with all the usual brewery fair like burgers, steaks, pasta and fresh seafood.
1777 Alamar Way
(707) 725-2742Eel River Brewing Co
- Mad River Brewing Company - Offers mirobrew tasting with 10 brews on tap, tours and a beer garden Monday through Sunday in the after noon to early evening.
195 Taylor Way
Blue Lake, California
(707)668-4151Mad River Brewing
- Humboldt Brews - One of the more exotic brews produced by Humboldt Brews is their "Hemp Ale". While you're enjoying your microbrew you can listen to music and snack on some of the organic foods offered by the pub.
856 10th st.
- Lost Coast Brewery - This brewery has won several awards for its beer and is also know for one of its Spider decorations. You can also enjoy a meal while sampleing their line of mirobrews
617 4th st.
- Six Rivers Brewery - Live music in the dining room nightly Some of thier popular microbews include Moonstone Porter, IPA (India Pale Ale), Sasquatch Double IPA, Paradise Moon, Chili Pepper Spicy Ale, Rosie's, Rasberry Ale, and Bluff Creek Pale Ale. 1300 Central Ave
McKinleyville, CA 95519
(707) 839-7580Six Rivers Brewery
- Redwood Curtain Brewing - The Tasteing room is open 3pm to 9pm weekdays and noon to 9pm on Saturday and Sunday They often have $1.00 off on Pints and Goblets on Tuesday and other specials through the week so it is a good idea to check their site when you are planning your visit to see which day you want to come. Their on tap beer includes a Belgian Style Pale Ale (B.P.A.), a Imperial Golden Ale (I.G.A.), a Belgian Style Porter, and a India Pale Ale (I.P.A.).550 S G St
Arcata, CA 95521
(707) 826-7222Redwood Curtain Brewing
Top 5 Wineries
If your preference is more toward wine than beer the California north coast still has you covered with several great wineries offering award winning wines. Personally I like to try out both wine and beer so this is a great place to plan an RV trip!
The somewhat cooler climate of the Northern California coast allows the grapes to ripen a bit slower and spend a little more time on the vine producig the areas unique flavor.
- Elk Prairie Vineyard - The Elk Prairie Vineyard is a Native American owned winer offering Northern California Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc and Chardonnay Wines
11544 Dyerville Loop Rd
Myers Flat, CA 95554 (707) 943-3498
- Briceland Vineyards - Briceland Vineyards produces Pinot Noir, Syrah, white varietals and sparkling wine using locally grown grapes.
5959 Briceland Road
Redway, CA 95560
- Robert Goodman Wines - Robert Goodman Wines produces Cabernet Sauvingnon, Zinfandel, and Pinot Noi they also feature a "low alcohol" wine, their Industrial Red comes in at 12.5% alcohol.
937 I St
Arcata, CA 95521(707) 826-9463
- Fieldbrook Winery - In addition to tasting and tours weddings and other events can be held on the property
4241 Fieldbrook Rd
McKinleyville, CA 95519
- Winnett Vineyards - The Winnett Winery produces its wines from all organically grown grapes.655 Peach Tree Ln
Willow Creek, CA 95573